Friday, June 8, 2012

Melancholic Monster

A huge part of my getting on the road to recovery from depression has been the seemingly simple, but truly formidable, problem of accepting that I have a serious mental illness.  Without that, I cannot take responsibility for my mental health.    

There are myriad social and psychological reasons why this is has been so difficult.  The name of the disease doesn't help matters.  I'm with William Styron, as he says in his memoir of depression, Darkness Visible,

                    "Melancholia would still appear to be a far more apt and evocative word for 
                  the blacker forms of the disorder, but it was usurped by a noun with a bland
                  tonality and lacking any magisterial presence, used indifferently to describe an
                  economic downturn or a rut in the ground, a true wimp of a word for such a 
                  major illness."

It seems like everyone is on antidepressants these days, and they may be overprescribed, but that doesn't change the fact that some people have a serious and potentially fatal physical illness and need the drugs.

One of the first steps toward acceptance for me was taking a simple online depression test.  I took a few.  All of them said I was severely depressed.  The questions read like a list of problems I'd had all of my life.  

Chronic insomnia, suicidal thoughts and actions, crying all the time, procrastination, oversleeping when I finally do get to sleep, weight gain from trying to comfort myself with food, isolating from friends and family, never feeling like I'm good enough or even am enough to have the things I want in life, feeling like I'm imprisoned behind a brick wall in my mind while desperately wishing to connect with and be comforted by other people... the list can go on, but I'll stop here...  It seems like I've had these symptoms in some form since I was ten years old.  I have Major Depressive Disorder.  I'm not just overly sensitive and take things too seriously.  My brain does not always produce the happy chemicals like normal brains do.

Oh, and P.S. – My grandfather committed suicide.  Hello.


No comments:

Post a Comment