Monday, June 11, 2012

The Mental Illness Happy Hour

I can't let another day go by without sharing about Paul Gilmartin's podcast The Mental Illness Happy Hour.  I just discovered this a few months ago when there was an article about it in The Atlantic Monthly, and it has helped me on so many levels that I'm afraid of not doing it justice by describing it.

Paul Gilmartin is a comedian and recovering alcoholic who also has depression.  In this free podcast, he interviews other comedians (many of whom, it turns out, are nutjobs) and the occasional civilian, encouraging them to talk about their mental illness and share their worst fears and childhood memories.

Here's a link to his website:  www.mentalpod.com

You can download the podcasts from there or from iTunes for free.  He also has a blog on the website and forums for people to talk about mental illness.

"You are not alone," is proclaimed at the top of the home page at mentalpod, and that is certainly the greatest gift I have received from listening to his podcast.  The candor with which Paul and his guests share about the crazy thoughts that go on in their heads is a balm to my lonely disease. 

It's also helped a great deal on my journey towards accepting that I have a mental illness.  Mental illness is discussed with such frankness that one would think that there is no stigma attached to the proud ownership of a mood disorder.

Thanks to Paul and all who make this podcast happen.  I think you are doing a great service.

No comments:

Post a Comment