Friday, June 1, 2012

Intros


Who am I?  I am a forty-something woman in a long, slow recovery from depression.  I have major depressive disorder with chronic suicidality.  If you feel like you should call the police and send them to my place, then you don't get it.  Don't worry.  I'm taking responsibility for my mental health these days.  I'm finally on a medication that seems to suit me, I eat a healthy diet, and I'm in private and group therapy (much of which is free). 

I also place my ear on the interwebs to find anything that can help me stay afloat.  I find myself sharing these things with friends who are also struggling to claw their way out of the abyss.  While there are many well-written and valuable blogs where the author shares their experience of depression, I felt that I could add my voice to the sphere by sharing things that have helped me on my road to recovery. 

Depression tells us we are alone in the depths, but like the proverbial teacher who shows up when the student is ready, the more I look for help in the world, the more lifejackets I find being thrown my way.  I don’t think I’ve completely recovered from this last, worst depression, but I am so, so much better than the suicidal panic I was in a year ago.  I am mostly better, but after being incapacitated for a year, I am slightly at a loss as to how to proceed with my life.  This blog is one way I plan to get moving.  I need all the help I can get.  I bet you do, too.  

I'm not a doctor or therapist.  I'm an unemployed crazy person who could have died last year, but made it out alive somehow.  I may be woebegone, but I am somehow optimistic that I will find a way to have a happy life with my dysfunctional brain chemistry.  Maybe we can do it together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment